Thursday 24 December 2009

After all its only one more sleep till Christmas...


1. The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992)

So here it is. The long awaited and much anticipated numero uno of Christiana's Christmas Countdown.

And anyone who knows me even just a little bit will probably have known all along what is was going to be, just like I did. The Muppet Christmas Carol is one of those films that is part of my family Christmas tradition. Every year, the family get together and watch, singing all the words to the songs and laughing at the jokes we've seen a thousand times before. And it somehow never gets old.

Part of the success of The Muppet Christmas Carol is because it is surprisingly faithful to its source, the much loved festive treat that it Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. Particularly through the use of Gonzo as Charles Dickens (a fact which is constantly disputed by Rizzo the Rat) and the narrator of the story who relays lines from the book in his very individual style.

All the songs are original, extremely catchy and very christmassy making it hard not to sing along even after a couple of viewings.

Another great Muppet Christmas movie is A Muppet Family Christmas (1987) which would be sharing the top spot with The Muppet Christmas Carol if I could. But as I didn't want to seem too obsessed I settled for the film I think of most when I think about Christmas.

As I'm writing this on Christmas eve, I thought I'd leave you with the most relevant of songs from the soundtrack of the film and really hope you enjoy it and have a very Merry Christmas with all the people you love.

Till 2010, fellow bloggers...

No comments:

Post a Comment